Committee members have been appointed by Mayor Madeline Rogero and approved by City Council to provide feedback on the updated zoning ordinance.
The committee will meet on a regular basis for two years following the codification of the ordinance.
The committee will provide feedback to ensure that the updated ordinance serves the diverse interests of the City. Members will serve as the liaison between the organization or group they represent.Learn More about the Committee Role
- Samuel Brown—Chair of Housing Committee, NAACP East TN Chapter
- Rick Blackburn—President, East Tennessee Community Design Center
- Michelle Moyers—Director of Community Development and Planning, Knox County Health Department
- Terrence Carter—Director of Economic & Business Development, Knoxville Area Urban League
- Dr. Caroline Cooley—President, Bike Walk Knoxville
- Mary English—Land Use & Environmental Director, League of Women Voters of Knoxville-Knox County
- Duane Grieve—East Tennessee Community Design Center
- Brian Hann—Past President, Appalachian Mountain Bike Club
- Chad Hellwinckel—Knoxville Permaculture Guild
- Don Horton—Chair, U.S. Green Building Council, East TN Chapter
- Gayle Atherton—Neighborhood Advisory Council, Seat A (At Large)
- Amy Nolan—Vice President of Public Policy, Knoxville Chamber of Commerce
- Joe Petre—President, Conversion Properties, Inc.
- Patrick Phillips—City Mayor Appointee to the Knoxville-Knox County Planning Commission
- Andy Powers—Facilities Services Director of Design Services, University of Tennessee
- Jennifer Roche—Government Affairs Director, Knoxville Area Association of Realtors
- John Sanders—Member, The American Institute of Architects, East TN Chapter
- Matt Sterling—Mayor's Maker Council
- Brian Tapp—Certified Commercial Investment Member, East TN Chapter
- Mike Truitt—Representative, Home Builders’ Association of Greater Knoxville
- Stephanie Welch—President, Great Schools Partnership
Knoxville City Council confirmed the appointments on July 16, 2019.
For the committee serving from 2017-2019, Knoxville City Council confirmed the appointments on January 31, 2017. As an advisory body, the committee did not have a role in the approval of the updated zoning ordinance. In addition to several of those still serving, the following members served on the committee from 2017-2019:
- Martha Buchanan—Executive Director, Knox County Health Department
- Chris Folden—Representative, Home Builders’ Association of Greater Knoxville
- Dave Irvin—Associate Vice Chancellor for Facilities Services, University of Tennessee
- Amy Midis—Neighborhood Advisory Council, Seat A (At Large)
- Jim Staley—Legislative Liaison, Certified Commercial Investment Member, East TN Chapter
- Brenna Wright—Owner, Abbey Fields Farm
Committee meetings will be held as needed to maintain a strong and steady channel of communication between the committee, Knoxville-Knox County Planning, and the City of Knoxville.
All meetings are open to the public. They will be chaired and directed by the Executive Director of Knoxville-Knox County Planning. The committee is subject to the Open Meetings Act and communications among its appointed members about the ordinance update must occur only at the committee’s public meetings.
Agendas and Minutes
- March 27, 2017 - Agenda | Minutes
- May 17, 2017 - Agenda | Minutes
- July 19, 2017 - Agenda | Minutes | Video
- September 20, 2017 - Agenda | Minutes | Presentation | Video
- November 15, 2017 - Agenda | Jeff Randolph Presentation | Minutes | Video
- March 21, 2018 - Agenda | Minutes | Video
- May 16, 2018 - Agenda | Video
- August 2, 2018 - Agenda | Major Revisions Included in Draft 2 | Map Update Guiding Principles | Policy Issues | Video | Zoning Map Draft 1 Presentation
- October 24, 2018 - Agenda | Minutes | Presentation | Video
- November 19, 2018 - Agenda | Minutes
- December 4, 2018 - Agenda | Minutes | Video
- January 3, 2019 - Agenda | Video
- September 25, 2019 - Agenda | Minutes | Stakeholder Committee Goals
- November 20, 2019 - Agenda | Bus Storage Review | Hillside Protection Review